View Single Post
Old October 7, 2011   #29
Direct Sunlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbar View Post
I grew 15 to 20 plants every year in Wyoming and they produced like crazy. Never had a bad year. They grow wild everywhere in Mexico so that shows two very different climates (Wyoming/Mexico) where they do well.

I grew I large (bigger than golf ball) purple variety (Baker Creek) this year and I grew purple jalapenos and purple "tequila" peppers to make a gorgeous "Salsa Violetta".

The bees LOVE Tomatillo flowers so I don't think pollination would be a problem.
I have found that the more water you give them, the larger the fruit. The plants also produce better if staked (they are the sprawlers of the garden...constantly having to be tied up.)

Like tomatoes, tomatillos can be picked when frost threatens and will ripen just fine indoors.
That's good to know. I'm not watering them very often now (2 times a week) but they look happy except for some yellowing leaves on top. I've been giving them more water than the pumpkins, because if I don't the leaves wilt by the time I get to the next watering. I'm estimating there are about 75 husks growing on each plant now, approximately double of what there was last weekend. How big do they get, and how do you know when to pick them? I looked on this forum and another one but didn't find that info.