View Single Post
Old July 4, 2011   #19
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Default It's not really Friday night, and it's not NORCATT

I think it would be great if someone put together a weekend NORCATT event. As a 14-hour-a-day/7-day-a-week farmer I don't really have weekends, and Friday September 9th is the only day when we can host an event. It is the only day when we can:

#1 Have people on the farm-site (at their time convenience) for tomato/farm tours

#2 Have an evening tomato tasting without having to charge

The owners of the Jazz Cafe are donating their reception room for this event. On the weekend it is booked, and expensive.

It seems clear that the overwhelming preference is for a weekend NORCATT event, so someone please coordinate the NORCATT event. We can't.

However, we will be pleased to welcome anyone interested in our event (up to 30 people). I think the event we are having is most appropriate for tomato fanatics who want to come early in the day to see the farm (thus avoiding the traffic). We are also in the East Bay's wine country, and there are a number of wineries and hiking trails very close to our site. Perhaps the Friday evening tomato tasting should not be viewed as the main course, but as the dessert. The day might make more sense if it was viewed as a day to get out to the country to visit a farm, hike, wine-taste and finish with a tomato tasting in a comfortable reception room where the taste of the tomatoes can be the center of attention (not the flies, wind and dirt, heat, cold, etc. etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristy View Post
I wish I could participate, but Friday night is a no-go for me. I'm in Sacramento and I'd be willing to try drive to the bay area for a Saturday or Sunday.

We used to live in Fremont and had friends in Pleasanton. On our drives home, we would sometimes detour through Sunol just to daydream of owning a piece of land there.

Have a great time, everyone!