Thread: Wonder Soil
View Single Post
Old December 20, 2014   #25
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Drew,

The variety of cucumber I'm using, Picolino, doesn't require pollinating:

http://www.highmowingseeds.com/organ...-cucumber.html

FWIW, my growing set-up is more or less based on this video I came across on youtube - only I'm not growing hydroponically and not using LED lights (except for one extra bulb I had around that is mainly decorative in my set-up ). Here's the link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoBde8tTxcw

It looks like their cukes at transplant were a good deal larger than mine were at transplant. They've got 8 plants in about 4' x 4' and I've got 5 plants in about a 1-1/2' x 2' bin with the grow space currently flaring out to 4-1/2' x 2-1/2' and a height from the soil line to "roof" of 4.' (BTW, belated thanks to James, for the compliments on my earlier set-up in a previous post ).

Drew, the article you linked to was interesting (just skimmed it) but it's not particularly relevant to Wonder Soil as the coir itself used in Wonder Soil is different from the coir in the study (which were different from each other). And, of course the amendments in the Wonder Soil make a difference. Although I don't have any comparision studies at the moment, it doesn't seem like the coir component of Wonder Soil is having any negative impact on the plants.

The photo of the wheat and sunflowers in the study caught my eye - for comparison sake, I'm attaching a couple of photos of my current batch of sunflower spouts started in Wonder Soil about 7 days ago (not sure exactly as I didn't record the date) and some red hard winter wheat seed I started for wheatgrass in Wonder Soil 9 days ago. (The colors are a bit washed out by the flash - esp. on the wheatgrass)

I think Wonder Soil is pretty much a complete mix (rather than a base like pro-mix, perhaps), so it supposedly doesn't require any additives - which might be something to take into account when you calculate the actual cost of the product. Although the Wonder Soil already contains minerals (Cascade Minerals as I recall)I did add a 1/2 oz scoop of azomite to one of my waterings as I've been led to believe that more rock dust is always a good thing - up to a point, of course but nothing else. I've saved and reused any drain water that collected in my little collection pitcher from prior waterings, so I'm not washing away a lot of stuff.

If you enjoy making up and using your own soil mixes and the price is right and you're happy with the results, there probably isn't any reason to use the Wonder Soil. I wasn't really thrilled with what I'd been using before and I don't know enough to feel comfortable in designing my own mixes, so the Wonder Soil works for me as a seed starting and container/potting mix.

BTW, has anyone found out exactly why Canada doesn't approve Wonder Soil for vegetables?

Anne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sunflower sprouts 7weeks -12-20-14.JPG (124.3 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg wheatgrass 9 days - 12-20-14.JPG (159.9 KB, 238 views)
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote