Thread: Asian Eggplant
View Single Post
Old March 13, 2016   #19
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
My family always used the dust more than the spray. I think it 5%.

Flea beetles are a problem for me in the early spring. Once the plant grows out of it, hopefully you won't have to keep applying the Sevin.
Thanks! I am hoping not to have such a big problem this year. Crossing toes and fingers. I'm planting everything out later too, so hopefully most of the beneficials will out by then. I try and stay away from spraying, but sometimes when it comes to the level of economic loss, you gotta pull out the big guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiPoha View Post
I am growing the green eggplants. They have firm flesh and mild taste. I use it in cooking that allows flavors to soak into it. They are strong growers and resistant to nematodes.
Glad you joined in! It's always nice to here how different folks like their veggies and how they use them. With the green ones, do you have to salt them to get liquid out before cooking with them, so they not mushy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
Flea beetles are a problem for me in the early spring. Once the plant grows out of it, hopefully you won't have to keep applying the Sevin.
How I miss my flea beetles! I used to moan and groan when my eggplants were infested with them for the first time, about 7 years ago. After a while though, there was an almost Zen-like peacefulness that came over me as I looked for and then squished with my bare fingers those quick-silver jumpers. I began to think of myself as the Flea Beetle Whisperer, as I became an expert in turning over leaves without disturbing them. Alas, they are long gone now, taken over by the spider mites. There is no fun in "finding" them, they are everywhere, top, bottom and sides of every leaf of every plant in both my front and back gardens! I've tried every control advised here on TVille; they are impossible to eradicate and I can only hope that one day our drought in CA will be over and the dry hot dusty conditions they love will be gone.[/QUOTE]

Oh no! I feel for you! I've had a couple, but usually I don't have my glasses on when working with the plants, so my face right up in the foliage. Usually if I see any it is right after watering and they run along the edge of the containers and I will chase em til I squish em. Want me to send you some flea beetles? Send you back down memory lane. Keep you from getting rusty.

In all sincerity, I hope you can find something that works. Don't know if your area has been getting rain or not, but hopefully the drought will end soon.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote