View Single Post
Old August 10, 2016   #1
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Default Filaree Farms Garlic

As I mentioned in a previous post, I recently placed an order for seed garlic with Filaree farms because they were recommended here. I let them know in the comments section that I was looking for the largest possible bulbs (isn't everyone, though, lol?). I just received a receipt from them with the following message:

"When we begin shipping in mid-September, we ship in the order
that we received orders, starting with those placed in late January.
Ordering early will ensure an earlier ship group and our largest
available bulbs. We won't ship any bulbs less than 1.75" diameter
regardless of when an order is placed."

Can anyone tell me when you placed your orders with them and if you got nice large bulbs? While I thought ordering 2 months before they start shipping would be early enough, apparently that might not be the case. I really would be disappointed with 1 3/4" bulbs, I got a few from my own garden that were larger than that. If I used them for planting, though, I would not have much of a crop to use this fall and winter. I am considering cancelling my order because just ordering 1/2 lb of each of 2 varieties, and 1/4 lb of a third variety, it came to almost 50.00 (49.00 to be exact) and for that I expect nice large bulbs not bulbs smaller than what I already have. Its a lot of money for garlic, but worth it if it started me off with a nice crop of large bulbs for future years that I could keep going.

So, am I so late I am likely to get their smallest bulbs? If people start ordering 10 months before planting time, I feel like I already missed the boat. But I will reconsider if your experiences have been getting nice large seed stock when ordering only a couple of months before shipping starts. Otherwise, I will be going back to Agway where I can pick out my own bulbs and just buy a larger quantity and only use the largest cloves.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote