Thread: I have a bat!
View Single Post
Old October 6, 2018   #11
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Well, bats are carnivorous mammals and that means a diet strong on protein. Having a bat in your neighborhood is a good thing because they eat bunches of bugs, including mosquitoes. But even Martha Stewart will say that having a bat living inside your rafters or other structures of your house is not a good thing. The primary concern is their scat - also called guano. If you wish to keep the little critter nearby, make that bat box and hope for a move-in event. Bat guano is a nasal aromatic nightmare filled with a lot of ammonia flavors.

Having said that, bat quano can be a real prize for your gardening adventures. The old saying that someone has "Bats in their Belfry" rings true because it says that folks who keep bats inside their buildings are just plain crazy. or, in my opinion, nose dead.

And, if the little guy doesn't make it thru the winter, you may have a decomposition issue. I can only strongly suggest the bat box with some kind of heat source or you're heading for a mid-winter funeral service or a spring "dig out the stink".

Take care and make a decision which is best for you.

This advice comes from experience. I'll let your imagination figure that one out. Suffice it to say that you probably wouldn't let a family of raccoons use your attic for their outhouse.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote