Thread: Apple Seed ~
View Single Post
Old October 19, 2006   #3
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Guys ~

Keith first:

K: possibly, any clue to if it was grafted?

re. I found out the tree is not as old as I thought ...
Its prob. in between 15 - 20 yrs. old - to me ? sounds like grafted material ~

K: But since apples have been cloned (grafted) for so long here in the US you dont always know that the plant will do from seed.

re: my worst fears are coming to light ...
I'd bet I have a grafted apple tree seeds ~

K:
You can do this (I think early summer cuttings are better) but often some of these varieties dont do as well unless grafted unto a rootstock (but not always). It wouldnt be wrong and you would gain a year or two. But first few years you want to concern yourself with shape and future grawth rather than fruit production.

RE: Kindof good news - I didn't want to drive 3 hrs for a fall cutting that may not work ! lol ~ There's so many chapters re: the shaping of the trees ; lol ~ I'm sure I'm a year or two away from that !

K: Most need a cold period to help germination. You can either store it in a frig for several months and plant in the spring OR simply sow them in a pots now. put the pots in the ground, with top exposed, and mulch them with a layer of leaves (prevent hard freezing or drying) and let nature do it's thing (keeping it moist throughout winter as needed).

RE: Would a cold shed or garage work ? worried about mice etc. ~

K: generally 5 years (it could be as early as 3 or late as 7). Most times crops are not encouraged at age three but rather shaping of the tree structure when it's that young.

RE: I started a lemon tree from seed in 2002 ...
Its trunk keeps getting bigger because I put it outside every summer ... The leaves smell awesome ... but no lemons ... much different but kind of the same - as these fruiting trees neeed TIME to mature to produce fruit ~

K: It should be very easy to do Tom good luck!

RE: Thanks Keith ~
I'm thinking it can't be all that hard ; if I started Carolyns "maryann" tomato seed from 1992 a fresh seed shouldn't be so hard !
I should start a bunch though right ?
Select from there ?

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote