View Single Post
Old August 31, 2018   #13
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsgarden1958 View Post
I have grown two of those. Heatmaster & Bella Rosa. Bella Rosa did well and had good but not superb flavor. Heatmaster was a huge disappointment. I assumed it need more heat then we had here that year. Plants were wimpy and blighted and fruit was small and scarce. I prefer Hill Top, Mountain Pride and Bush Big Boy which I think was discontinued.

My Heatmaster plants are very healthy with full foliage from top too bottom. I planted ten plants in two beds. One bed receives full sun all day and the other bed receives about four hours of full sun each day. All ten plants are loaded with small tomatoes. I have no idea how the tomatoes will taste, but I know they live and blossom in our hottest weather plus a large percentage of the blossoms become tomatoes. I've grown a few of the Mountain series of hybrids over the years with decent, but not great results. Sometimes performance is dependent on location. I may have a better location for the Heatmaster's and you may have a better location for some of the Mountain series. I have no idea about Big Boy and Bush Big Boy. I always liked Better Boy when I grew them, but I don't think they had any genetic relationshiip to the other "Boy" varieties.

I've also reduced the amount of water the summer planted tomatoes receive compared to the spring planted tomatoes. I did it to see if reduced water will intensify the taste of my fall tomatoes. They are all growing well with less water in the high heat.

Last edited by DonDuck; August 31, 2018 at 09:14 PM.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote