View Single Post
Old July 28, 2016   #6
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistech View Post
This year was the first time I grew the squash and I picked 4 or 5 at about 18" long and they were great as a summer squash. I left 4 on the vines to mature and they were in the neighborhood of about 36" long and I left them on the vines until they turned a tan color. I have them curing and will see how long they last and how they taste as a winter squash. I don't know if I will ever grow them again as they take up a lot of room in a small garden for the amount they produce.
I'll be curious to your comments on it as a winter squash. I also let some mature, we also grew butternuts that year. To my tastes I thought it wasn't bad, but not great as a winter squash--more watery and stringy than the butternut. I do enjoy the flavor and texture quite a bit as a summer squash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbelly View Post
Picked my first at 2 feet. It was very good-firmer and a bit more grainy than zukes. Good flavor. I actually think it would have tasted just as good if I'd left it to grow a bit more. It was only on the vine for 2 days after pollination.

As for productivity, I don't know, guys--I have 4 squash that set in as many days on one vine. The other vine was sown a little later, but it has no shortage of female buds on it. And if the older vine is any indication, almost all of those are going to reach flowering, and so far 100% of those that have been pollinated (I hand pollinate as insurance) are growing rapidly and are obviously viable and developing. I'm actually a bit concerned about having too much squash.
What was your seed source? I had problems with female blossoms dropping even with manual pollination. I wanted to use it in a cross pollination project but because it is C. Moschata it is not practical for a home gardener to cross it with C. Pepo varieties.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote