View Single Post
Old March 21, 2019   #23
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
It's such a pain, at least to me. I'd much rather start a few hybrids like Big Beef and Celebrity and Orange Wellington. Also adding Damsel and Stellar this year.
This. It's a trouble because of greater time allotment required and whether you're selling or doing for your own garden, you need to factor in graft failures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapsco Mike View Post
I saw grafted tomatoes for sale for $10 each at Home Depot in Ellicott City Maryland two years ago. I hadn't read much about it and wasn't willing to pay that crazy price. Little did I know I'd be grafting my own two years later!
Part of the problem is that it's hard to put a value on grafting, because there's so little guarantee. Your growing microclimate, the years weather, watering, sunlight already make yields so variable that people have a hard time attributing a year's success specifically to grafting, even when it is a huge or the major reason for that year's success.

It's different for people that require grafting in area's with high disease pressure. They can't even expect a mater to survive to 2 feet without a graft.

It's much like organic (by that I mean resource investment). What is the price point at which an organic tomato is worth it's price? Would you be willing to pay 70% more? 50%? 40%? 30%

I'd ask the same about grafted tomato. For say a 20% boost in yield, more consistent yield, and or better disease resistance, what would you be willing to pay?
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote