View Single Post
Old January 9, 2017   #2
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Ron, you are right. The first thing that you have to do is to remove all of the leaves that are showing signs of yellowing and browning. This seems to include all of the lower leaves. Be sure not to touch any foliage other than that which is being removed because you may then be further contaminating your plants. I would also like for you to use rubbing alcohol on your pruning tool between each cut as well as on your hands. Be sure to bag all of the debris and dispose of it far away from your plants. Either send it to the dump or burn it.

These plants are full and it is difficult to see. Plant #1 appears that the grower already has removed the lowest growth and allowed three stems to grow. That is just fine. You can easily work with that. While I do see some very strong laterals growing above these, I do think that they should be removed to keep you plant balanced. The other way to go would be to remove the lowest lateral and then allow the next up to grow. I definitely would try to keep your plants to no more than 3 stems. Most greenhouse growers here on the forum will suggest only 1-2 stems per plant. So let's hear what they have to say. I am only allowing you to have 3 stems because I know how you hate to limit your plants productivity. Many growers will tell you that you have better production when you have just one main stem.

Plants #2 and #3 are difficult to see. Remove all infected leaves and then perhaps we will have a better view of your plants structure.

Plant #4 Remove all spotted and browning leaves. Then also remove the laterals that are growing at soil level. Do NOT try to grow these laterals into plants. If you wish to grow some from laterals you will still be pruning healthier ones out after we can see what you have growing.

You need to re-pot these very soon. I would wrap them with twine or a blanket quite snugly. Place them on their sides. Then step on the sides of the pots firmly to compact the soil. Gently grasp the bottom of the stems including the support and pull. Since you loosened the root ball from the pot with your foot, it should slide out easily. If it still has resistance, then roll the plant 1/4 of a turn and step on the pot again and continue to do this until it slides out. Then gently lift it by the root ball into it's new home.

TT's from my experience this past year are a lanky plant. So keep your pots down as low as possible to the ground so that these have less of a chance of getting too tall to work with.

Do some pruning and then let's see where to go from there.