View Single Post
Old July 20, 2018   #2453
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The outside floor joists had been eaten away by termites. I only had two floor joists to build on. The third was under the wall. The outside two feet and the inside two feet of the floor are like a diving platform, only supported on one side. I put down a layer of 2x4s sideways, then a layer of 3/4" OSB where the hole was, and then I decked another layer of 3/4 OSB over the entire room. Then luan on top of that, primed it with Kilnz it, and the tile is stick-down vinyl, which works well on drastically unlevel floors like this one.

Stick-down has a bad reputation for not sticking down, but a lot of people skip the luan or birch plywood underlayment and also the step of painting it with primer. A quality tile product helps, too. This one was only about a dollar per square foot, but I seen them as cheap as 29 cents, for a much thinner, inferior product.

The floor still slopes drastically, but it only gives a tiny bit when I bounce on it over the platform parts. I also have a crazy copper supply pipe coming up at an angle next to the tub, but I just caulked and trimmed around it, and secured it to the wall.

Materials cost was about $400, including $100 for the new toilet. The renter is happy with her new bathroom:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20180718_175617_137222222.jpg (240.2 KB, 92 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote