View Single Post
Old April 11, 2013   #9
OtterJon
Tomatovillian™

Nice to hear I'm not crazy....I use two 400w warehouse lights that I converted by swapping the ballast inside with a pulse start ballast....and I run Phillips Mastercolor CMH (Ceramic Metal Halide) Bulbs in them..For the spectacular wavelength they provide. It truly looks like a nice daylight, which is also fun to sit under in the winter days.. HPS (High Pressure Sodium) is an ugly orange..(Think streetlights)

I just keep them in a spare bedroom, which I don't need to heat, cause the lights keep it around 80 in there...I run them approx 12 hrs a day. For "soil" I am using premier Promix BX in 3 gallon simple black pots. For fets I use a bit of foxfarm's Grow Big, and Big Bloom. With a spinkling of Tomato-Tone every so often. I pick tomatoes all winter, but have found the cherry types Coyote,Camp Joy Cherry,and some paste types (Vesuvio) to be more prolific indoors then say...my Russian Pink 2 or Costoluto Genovese...I have fruit on all winter in various stages, and been picking a lot to eat while there is snow on the ground. It's way too cold here for anything to grow in the ground yet...it's not but about 34 out currently..

I also use the lights to start my seedlings for the spring..I am doing experiments with micro-toms, so just started a bunch the other week....I have lost a plant or two that either got something during the summer...and I won't bring back inside a diseased plant. I sterilize all of my pots and soil when bringing them back in too...this goes a long way to prevent anything nasty.

Nice job mrbig46...great looking plants!

Here are some pics of my little grow area indoors, I took today..Using a seedmat, I am starting some Bowen's Buckeye, and Lemon Blush later this eve...Happy growing all! Waves a paw..

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toms1.jpg (83.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg toms2.jpg (69.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg toms3.jpg (38.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg toms4.jpg (119.4 KB, 32 views)