View Single Post
Old August 25, 2016   #47
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
It's always in the back of my mind when I buy seed stock.

My opinion is that if a grower is producing good, healthy garlic that they are selling specifically for planting, and their own seed for the next year comes from the same crop that they're selling, then I won't worry about it. No guarantees, but a lot less likely that there will be problems.
I would agree with this and getgarlic.com is most certainly not the only supplier who sells carefully selected garlic. I have just had good luck with they company and they are also a small family owned business which I also like.

Garlic can also be infected with many things other than viruses, like fungus, and they may be carried in the bulbs and infect your soil. This is why I would buy from a reputable supplier the first time and then grow your own from that stock if you like it.

I am probably more cautious that I need to be but I only have a small home garden and I don't want infections to get started in my soil so I do not grow store bought garlic or potatoes. I buy from certified suppliers but that is just my opinion.

Here's a link to some garlic disease information:

http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/facts...icdiseases.pdf

Last edited by brownrexx; August 25, 2016 at 11:40 AM.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote