View Single Post
Old June 26, 2017   #40
salix
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the update and photos, Sari. The landscape on your distant farm is so similar to ours!

Bower, sorry to hear about your losses. But at least you have some left. This is the first time ever that I will have NO garlic of my own. And not just me, several friends are in the same situation, and we are all good gardeners (I say with all modesty!). Our winter and spring were very bad. At least 4 times during the winter the temperature went to about -30 with no or little snow cover. Friends and fellow gardeners who live farther out and with heavier snow cover have reasonable crops.

A lot of strawberry patches were also decimated and a lot of ornamentals were lost. My 25 year old Weigela has only 3 small live sprouts, whereas in past years it was an enormous flowering tower. Of course, I must confess to growing at least 2 zones higher than is recommended, but it was sad to lose several Hellebores, Epimediums and the Kirengeshima koreana which had survived (if not exactly thrived) for over 10 years. Oh well, room for something else, right?