View Single Post
Old July 6, 2006   #71
vermiit
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to Nanette and Bob (I pm'd you), the park is now covered! Thanks to *everyone*!

We have the park for 'all day', which was cheaper than the hours we thought we'd need from earlier in the thread, so we essentially have it from 1:00 am until 3:00 pm.

My full sized tomatos are beginning to ripen! I have Mikado Violeta, Purple Cherokee (this is questionable. I bought a 'Purple Cherokee' from the local Ace, that was a Morningstar tomato, but it's a red tomato, not a purple. But it's so dependable and bears so heavily and early, it's my garden favorite!!) and Black Seaman turning color. Black Zebra, Crimean Rose, Azoychka, Berkeley Tie Dye, Pruden's Purple and Black Trifele are also bearing exceptionally well. And I've been munching on Sungolds and Black Cherry's for a week now.

Besides herbs and fruit trees, I confess to having ONLY tomatos in my garden this year. I had started a number of peppers and egglplants, but they got eaten by slugs early on, and never replaced. I also put in a token squash and cucumber right before the heat wave, and they're stunted and just hanging on, with my tomato forest all around! lol