View Single Post
Old April 7, 2019   #7
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooty View Post
I'm curious, is it just the raccoons for you? We have problems with the squirrels too. Not sure which is worse. The raccoons here take the entire cob. The squirrels take two nice sized chunks on an ear and leave it on the ground. I'm pretty sure the deer got to some of hours years ago as well....
The tracks say only the raccoons with an occasional skunk. They break the stalks down and destroy the ears of corn. Most of the time they eat at least 3/4 of the available mature kernels and will wipe out the entire crop in three days.

There are two creeks near us with one running just in front of the big barn seen in a lot of my photographs. I have raccoons passing thru my back yard at night. I don't like to just kill critters. I can buy corn on the cob for about 4/1$. So, I just gave up on growing it myself. The people up the valley I buy from have old fashioned traps and (get this) an motion alarm system covering their 80' X 150' garden. They sell most of the crop to local folks. I like the early golden sweet corn with the large kernels, and they are the only locals who grow it.

As far as the raccoons are concerned, I've been considering starting a small hat business. (Holy Davy Crockett, Batman !!!)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote