View Single Post
Old September 3, 2006   #28
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

Annie:

It was great to see you, Nathan and your kids there. Your little girl really seems to be shaping up to be a master tomato taster! Thanks also for sharing your pizza picture. That looks like fun.

Also, please pm me; I think you wanted some seeds, right?

Here's the brownie recipe.

192 Calorie Brownies (also known as "Killer Brownies" or "Erotic Brownies"*)

1/2 cup butter (no substitutes)
5 oz. unsweetened chocolate
4 eggs at room temperature (70 degrees F)
1/4 teaspoon salt
12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate pieces
2 cups packed dark brown sugar (1 lb.)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1 cup pecan meats, broken

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Melt in double boiler butter and unsweetened chocolate. Cool in refrigerator about 15 to 20 minutes.

Beat eggs until light in color and foamy in texture. Beat in salt. Add gradually the sugar and vanilla and continue beating until well creamed.

Combine the cooled chocolate mixture with the egg-sugar mixture in a few swift strokes. _Do this by hand_. Before it becomes uniformly colored, fold in, again by hand, the flour. Before the flour is uniformly mixed in, gently stir in the semisweet chocolate pieces and pecans.

Bake in a greased 13-inch by 9-inch pan for about 25 minutes. Cool before cutting.

Makes 48 bars, about 192 calories each.

This recipe is an adaptation of Brownies Cockaigne from
The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. Rombauer and Marion Rombauer Becker (Bobs-Merrill/Macmillan, 1975).

*Other people called them that. I called them "192 Calorie Brownies" because I dreamed them up while I was on a 1,000 calorie/day diet.

Bruce,

The Sun Gold sorbet was fantastic! It tasted like an orange push-up pop from an ice cream truck. Nice memories.

Angelique,

The trifle was really good! The cream cheese in the whipped cream was a tasty addition. I heard you had some great cucumbers to offer; I'm sorry I arrived too late and missed out on that.

Diana,

Thanks for getting the park set up and organized. It was a beautiful spread. Thank you also very much for the rides to and from the train station.

Betsy,

Good to see you and John there, and your friend Chuck and his wife (didn't catch her name). Thanks for bringing some of Brad's tomatoes. I am fermenting seeds from Berkeley Tie Dye and Pork Chop. I think Pork Chop is really interesting; it has a "spun sugar" sort of rough skin which makes it look even more like a real lemon drop, but its flavor is also lemony in a way (not a tart or citrus flavor, just aromatic). I really liked it. Thanks for showing me your Russian 117 that I gave you the plant for; yours is the real thing and is tasty. My "Russian 117" is a nice bicolor that might even be Burracker's Favorite, but I am not sure. (It has wispy foliage). Please pm me if you are interested in possible seed exchanges. I am not sure I'll be able to keep my plants alive long enough for a possible October tasting.

A great time. Thanks to all who were there and helped set it up.

GTG (Debra)