View Single Post
Old February 1, 2019   #5
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Hi, DonnaMarie!
My celery just popped up yesterday from a 2/9 sowing- I never soak seeds ahead. Like Bower said don't cover except with the finest bit of material and keep in a lighted place. I had mine on top of a fluorescent fixture that was on 16 hrs./day for onions, parsley and mini-dwarf tomatoes. With things that like cool weather, I avoid heat mats because mine tends to make the soil really hot. I keep them on the mantel over the wood stove or on the slate surround or on top of lights and it's plenty warm. If you have a sunny window, a covered tray can stay pretty warm during the day already, too. Everything still needs a light at germination so as not to get leggy.

kath

Success at last!!! I used the pre-soaking and heat on/off techniques above and had excellent germination (almost to a fault) from 2015 seed, (Tango and Tendercrisp). I'll be adding a third heat tolerant variety soon, courtesy of MMMM.

After germination, how many hours of light do the tiny seedlings need, and how far from a T5 light is a good distance? I have had the tray in a sunny window and under light until 11pm. They are a fraction of the size of a pea, but I can see them stretching and leaning towards the light already.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote