Thread: Soil Test
View Single Post
Old August 28, 2016   #34
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

The soil test I got had recommendations of what and how much to add per acre. I didn't open your link to look at your soil test results so I don't know what it said.

Never mind, I opened your link. It does have some recommendations on it. And I'll be interested in seeing what the lab sends you as to the value range that they are sending you. That should help you see what your values really are.

"Primarily tomatoes have been grown in most of the raised beds, so maybe tomatoes have something to do with lowering Ph? (maybe I should be more diligent about ones that fall off the vine and lay amist the soil). My native is modeling clay and acidic."

Tomatoes that grow in the soil will not have any effect on your pH. It isn't anything you are doing to cause your native soil to be on the acidic end of the pH scale.

Adding compost (organic material/matter) will buffer the pH in the soil due to the way the soil critters eat their way through it. Keep adding compost like you are doing and your plants will love you for it.

There are many plants that love a low pH. All the cabbage family for example and blueberries. Tomatoes are so forgiving, will grow in a wide range of pH levels.

zeroma

Zeroma

Last edited by zeroma; August 28, 2016 at 09:57 PM.
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote