View Single Post
Old February 29, 2016   #55
bower
Tomatovillian™

I'm interested in the idea of a soil mix for container tomatoes, that is so nutrient dense that nothing needs to be added during the season.
I'll admit that your list of amendments is daunting... there's no way I could afford that list of primo ferts. I've seen the bat guano alone in action at my friend's farm one year - her Cherokee Purples were the size of melons. (In her case though she's growing in the ground, and the bat guano was fed to her plants later in the season).
I am growing in containers, and I do try to provide as much as possible in the basic mix when planting, which for me is basically bone meal, shredded kelp, and a high quality local compost made from fish waste - I count on the compost to provide the necessary mycos. I have added dried chicken manure too when it was available.
At first I thought this should be enough, and didn't feed anything else during the season. What I found though, is that my plants would set great and be healthy right up until they started to ripen their fruit, and then they would start to get all the usual diseases and go into their decline. I read here what other growers were doing, long story short, I tried supplementing the plants with ferts after they reached that point of ripening, and what I found is that the plants stayed healthy longer and bore more fruit. So since then I've been using granular top dressing (a chicken manure product) or liquid ferts (fish emulsion, blackstrap) to keep the plants in better shape.
So now I'm asking myself, could I simply make my mix more nutrient dense to begin with, and get the same results without supplemental feeding? If so, I'd be game to try it.
Looking forward to hear more about your system and your results this year.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote