View Single Post
Old June 2, 2015   #13
garden381
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycopersica View Post
I've been growing dwarf tomatoes in containers for a couple years. Now that I finally have a yard, I've been working all spring to build my first outdoor tomato garden (with indeterminate plants) but now I'm running out of time. I built a 3' by 20' raised bed, pulled up all the grass, and spent all Memorial Day weekend double digging half of it. I'm not sure what to do about the other half. The seedlings are looking sad and cramped in their containers so I really want to plant them out this weekend. On the other hand, I doubt I can finish double digging the whole thing (plus it's supposed to be pouring rain tomorrow).

Should I knuckle down, dig as much as I can, and then plant them or is there a quicker way to amend the soil? It's cruddy, clay-ish lawn soil that's slightly acidic and very low on nutrients. I've been using compost (mostly grass clippings from last summer), rock phosphate, and a small amount of egg shell grounds to raise the ph (or at least keep it from going lower if the partially composted grass clippings have become acidic). Would it be okay to just work those into the top of the soil instead?
So , What i would do and intend to do here in jacksonville ,florida would be to add composted cow manure and sand to your clay soil and eliminate the rock phosphate saving it for a possible side dress
.IF NEEDED.
Dry powered egg shells and be sure the grass clippings don't stick together.
If you want ,and something i do once in a while, is to add 1/2 cup of blood meal into the soil when tilling or turning but too much in volume will make too many greens and fewer tomatoes so be careful.

Finally, i dilute B-1 while i am preparing to plant the seedlings and water them in the pots before planting. B-1 will help with transplant shock.
I personally plant most of my plants on their sides or at least at a sharp angle and stake at planting to train them upwards . plant an 1 inch or so under the top soil.
An inch under ground for very strong root systems.
garden381 is offline   Reply With Quote