View Single Post
Old August 3, 2012   #28
zabby17
Tomatovillian™

Ah, JayPaul, my palate may not be so refined! ;-p I love a wide range of tomato tastes, from the complex Brandywine to the sweet Sungold.

The earlies I grow are Stupice, Matina, Kimberly, and Kotlas. (I've also tried Sophie's Choice, which Carolyn recommends in her book, but it didn't produce particularly well OR early for me, and the seeds are hard to find [I am not a saver]).

I like them all well enough, though each is different and they change given the weather, etc. And I'm not a big fan of Aunt Ginny, so I imagine we have different enough tastes I wouldn't be a very good guide to flavour you think is awesome, alas! Vive la difference, as they say a little farther east in my country. ;-p

None of the earlies is my absolute fave, but they are fine tomatoes to my taste, and sure do hit the spot with a little salt and red wine vinegar and feta cheese when it's July and I haven't had a fresh tomato in eight or nine months! (I just don't buy them at the store any more, sigh.)

Some of the purples and blacks are often quite early for me, too---Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, and Southern Nights (I just picked two of those) frequently are not far behind the "earlies."

Fish Lake Oxheart is new to me (though I live near Fish Lake, don't know if you've seen that thread), and I have two of those ready to pick probably today. Many on this site who grew it last year really liked the flavour and found it unusually early for a big tomato, so that might be worth a try for you....

Hope your toms all came out OK from your big, crazy rain! Send us a little of that wet stuff across the lake, eh?

Z
zabby17 is offline   Reply With Quote