View Single Post
Old April 11, 2018   #33
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Thanks Bill.
I grew German Queen (impulse store purchase) last year. It was very productive. Good tasting pink tomatoes about the size of my IS PL.

On the tomato size, my record over the years has been 19 oz Ananas Noire. Cherokee Purple also produced a lot over one pound.. Brandy Boy also gives fruits well over one pound. I will do a vs check with BW Suddurh this year.
It is not impossible to produce a 2 lb Brandywine Sudduth's down here; but I have only gotten one that large. I do get a lot of one to one and a half pound fruits off several varieties fairly regularly. The list below is of the plants that consistently produce large fruits for me. The ones with two stars after them have occasionally produced fruit over 2 lbs. I don't specifically try to grow giant fruits as they are usually too big for all practical uses other than sauce but once in a while I get a really large fruit. From what I have read on this site to regularly grow those monsters you have to grow only those varieties that have that ability plus treat the plants very differently than normal.

Brandywine Sudduth's**
Brandywine Cowlick's
Stump of the World
KBX**
Red Barn**
Neves Azorean Red**
Couilles de Taureau**
Gary O' Sena
Dester
Donskoi**
Limbaugh's Legacy
Virginia Sweet**