View Single Post
Old April 19, 2016   #18
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Hi
I have a few little Orange Peter peppers now. They were started in peat pellets on a heating pad. It took 2 weeks for them to come up. I had 4 seed left, I used the coffee filter and plastic bag method that time-after two weeks, two more plants. P. Joe's did send me another pack of seed. The first plants look very nice, one of the latest suffered from act of Wiener Dog yesterday, it lost a seed leaf, bad news for it-since it didn't have true leaves yet.. Years ago, I grew Red Peter from Jung's. Nice plants, but the plants must have been spoiled a little to much, and they produced nice, non naughty peppers. IF I do get some Peters that match the plants name, I will put them in the county fair.
Thanks for the reply from tarp/Kathryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
I've grown them from seed. They are not the fastest growers but start well enough. In 2013, 2 germinated within a week and the 3rd at 12 days. This year 3 within a week and the other 2 within two weeks. 100% germination both years.

However, you have to be aware that I germinate with the paper towel in baggie method so I see every germ. If you germinate in dirt, then you see only the ones that germinate and break the soil. The longer-germinating peters tend to be weak and might not get their heads up.

Fun pepper, though. Don't bring them to a church dinner.

BTW, one of the 2013 plants was an interesting cross, but that's a whole nother story.
tarpalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote