View Single Post
Old November 21, 2009   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medbury Gardens View Post
Colour - i would describe as light red getting towards a dark pink,when it ripens,it retains green shoulders that slowly disappears when the tomato becomes over ripe and starts to wrinkle.

Size and shape - the fruit is slightly flattened and is rather inconsistent in size,that largest i picked so far is 6 cm across with at least half the tomatoes 20-30% smaller.

icelord-maybe we swoop seed and grow them side by side compare them??,i'll send ya PM.
Since 1 cm = .4 inches and the largest fruit is about 6 cm that means that the fruits average only about 2.4 inches, and many are smaller.

There aren't that many Lebanese varieties that I know of that are that small, most being much much larger, but I admit I'm not in the mood to comb through the about 4000 varieties in the SSE YEarbook to even see if there are any of that color and in that size range.

And since you don't know how long they've been grown by that family and you don't know where they got them from, b'c there are other possibilities but no way to track them down as I see it.

As I recall icelord's Rouge d Irak is red and much larger as I remember the picture and when one Googles one gets pictures/descriptions of it that say a one pound heart, others say a smaller oblate ( flattened) globe and on and on but it's a true red, so wouldn't be the same as your lebanese one as I see it.

I wish I could be more helpful but as is often the case folks in many places never have a name for what they grow. The variety I named Omar's Lebanese had no name when Omar gave me the seeds, it has been grown in the hill towns almost forever, and no one cares what it's called.