View Single Post
Old December 12, 2017   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
A breeder to be admired for sure but (not every cross involves a PL parent, in fact I would say the majority don't.)
for my part, using the RL Heart as the mother, rather than the obvious and standard wisdom of using the PL parent worked out really, really well for me. Rookie mistake? some would and have said so but there's more than one way to do everything and aside from genetics science, there is a great deal of guesswork, circumstance, chance and luck involved as well.
bumblebees have made many of the greatest tomato crosses ever grown.
KarenO
I agree with you completely on all the variables that exist in doing crosses, which is why I said I SUGGESTED that there was another way that has worked out for others.

As to your comment that not every cross involves a PL, you would say the majority don't.

In knowing quite a few professional and not so much even amateur breeders then begs the question of WHO the majority is. Which I cannot even begin to answer considering the fact that that means going WAY back in tomato history to deliberate breeding as well as great accidental crosses that took place and we can blame the pollinators for that as well as seed mutations and somatic mutations.

Carolyn