Thread: Spider mites
View Single Post
Old June 4, 2018   #50
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
Bill,
I may have missed it but what are your proportions of water,DE,permethrin and Dawn? I think dreaded spider mites have arrived...
Thanks
When spider mites show up I am dead serious about stopping them as quickly as possible so my mix is a bit strong but it works. Per gallon of water I use between 1 and 2 tsps of Dawn dish washing liquid depending on how much webbing is already under the leaves, 3/4 cup to one cup of food grade DE ( mix with water and strain before adding to tank) and 1 to 2 tablespoons of 10% Permethrin.

This mix will pretty much kill any insects whether good or bad. I also use it when I get a bid infestation of aphids, stinkbugs or leaf footed bugs. Usually spider mites don't show up here before mid to late summer when the weather gets really dry. If I see a small infestation starting earlier in the season I will sometimes use Neem oil and see if it will stop them before they get bad. If it doesn't I pull out the big guns because once you let them get too far along it is really difficult to stop them.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote