View Single Post
Old July 19, 2020   #8
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I think it was pod base, stem or leaf. Definitely a choppee plant at that spot. The do look weird. Longhorn was on the other side of the raised bed last year. I didn't think the production for either was as good as clemson and the choppee pods were sort of fibrous. Nice to try different though. I decided to stick with the safe bet this year.

Supposed to be hot yet tomorrow, then I hope it cools off. I'm going to try to get out in the morning for a bit and try to find some pollen to catch. Some of that first corn block didn't germinate well and I ended up doing soil blocks to catch up. They were behind by 10 days, so maybe I can get some pollen from those tardy corns to brush into silks everywhere.

I wonder if I grow just a few corn in the back yard, how they would time up for dropping pollen versus the corn at the comm garden. I could make a setup just to catch pollen. I seem to remember reading about freezing pollen, but was it corn? I don't mind hand pollinating but I'm just never over there in the mornings when it is happening.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote