View Single Post
Old March 26, 2015   #44
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJessee View Post
Definitely, all wood chips are not created equal. The chip material of small, non-conifer, green wood branches(ramial) is highly preferred to the chips of heartwood or conifers. Last year I located a convenient pile of 5-6 cu yd along the road that I eventually hauled away one pick up load at a time. I used it mainly as a surface mulch around about 140' row of peppers. It worked quite nicely. But I calculated doing a layer 1" x 18" down a row of 300 peppers (~600') and that calls for about 33 cuyd of material. That's some serious shoveling! But it is good stuff especially if it has broken down a year or two.

So, 300 peppers is a good start, what else ya got goin'? :-D
Main crop is "field tomatoes" meaning productive determinate strains I don't need to stake. Mostly Rutger's determinate from Page's seeds. I will also be doing a little sweet corn this year. An op Sh2 sweet corn called Zapolita Chico. And as always many herbs, beans and such as companion crops between everything and as many full size indeterminate types as I have stakes and cages. Still scrounging for abandoned old pigwire fencing for cages and t posts for florida weave. Got quite a few already but not sure how many I can scrounge up by plant out time.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote