View Single Post
Old August 19, 2018   #7
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

if the squash is fully mature, you should be able to cut it open, and save the seeds.
cut it long way carefully so you don't damage the seeds, and scoop them out.
wash out all the goop using a large sieve. i have a huge colander that serves the same purpose. take the rinsed seeds and put them in a jar or bowl of water. non viable seeds will float to the top. take the remaining seeds, and spread them out on a flat surface, paper plates work. a flat sheet pan should work too. let the seeds thoroughly dry, mix them up now and them so both sides dry. probably take a couple weeks depending on humidity. err on the side caution. leave them out longer if needed. any surface moisture on the seeds will cause mold to form once packaged up, you don't want that.

i saw the other squash i assume you grew. if you did not bag the blossom of the squash, you may have cross pollination with one of the other squash if they were all flowering at the same time.

regarding the beans,

to save seed, you want the bean pods to dry on the vine before you pick them.
seeds will be mature at the leathery stage in a pinch, but dry on the vine is best.
shuck the seeds from the pod. they are dry when you can't dent them with a finger nail,
and they make a tinny noise and bounce if you drop them on a counter top.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote