Thread: Dehydrating
View Single Post
Old December 2, 2007   #49
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I found one I've tried. More of a Turkish style Dolma that the Armenian style I'm used to having, but still good. I found this one online at: http://veggieway.blogspot.com/2006/0...er-dolmas.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dried Eggplants and Peppers Dolmas

Before the recipe, I would like to make a small explanation about dried eggplants. When the eggplants are in season, as a preparation for winter, eggplants and peppers are dried. The flesh inside the eggplant is scooped out and they are dried on strings. When the dehydration process ends, they look like this. These are used for this traditional dolma.They may be available in Middle Eastern markets.

Ingredients:
Dried eggplants and peppers (This recipe is for 15 eggplants and peppers)
For each eggplant 1 tbs rice (or you may use bulgur instead, or mix both of them)
2-3 onions, peeled and diced
1-2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
1 tbs pepper paste
1 tbs pine nuts (or walnuts)
1 tbs currant (this gives a sweet surprise, optional)
1 ts cinammon
1 ts allspice
dry peppermint
2-3 tbs pomegranate extract or lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

1)Place the eggplants and peppers in a saucepan full with boiled water and cook them well, for about 30-45 minutes.
2)Meanwhile saute the onion and garlic in olive oil.
3)Then add the rice and all the other ingredients along with some water and cook this filling until the rice is a little bit tender.
4)Drain the eggplants, allow them to cool for a while
5)Stuff eggplants and red peppers with mixture, filling the eggplants and red peppers until they are about 3⁄4 full.Close the tops by just glueing the edges with your hands.
6)Put the stuffed eggplants in a saucepan.
7)Add 2 cups of boiled water. (Make sure you have enough water in the saucepan during the cooking process, otherwise they will burn!)
8)Put a dish upside down to hold the dolmas down and cook on low heat until the rice inside the dolmas is cooked.
Bon Appétit!

*Dried eggplants picture is from Cook's Thesaurus.

Posted by Isil Simsek at 1:00 PM

Labels: vegan food
Attached Images
File Type: jpg driedeggplant.0.jpg (6.4 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Image015.jpg (12.1 KB, 85 views)
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote