View Single Post
Old November 18, 2021   #5
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Sorry for the late response, I don't check in here often.

Agreed, that "Gigandes" is (or should be) a runner bean. There is also a very large lima called Gigantes... the names are sometimes used interchangeably, so in a swap, you can't always be sure what you are getting.

I grew Gigantes about 10 years ago; it was a pole lima that required a longer season than mine, and never matured a pod.

I also grow the "Gigandes" runner bean, in a multi-year rotation. It is similar to several other large-seeded white runner beans, such as Bianco de Spagna, and Piekny Jas (which I grew this year). Those are all so similar that they could be the same bean, claimed & renamed in different geological regions. Production for me is just mediocre, because the blossoms won't set in mid-summer. But if we get a 1-2 day cool spell, hundreds of pods may set (not all of which will mature). There are usually 3-4 beans per pod. We enjoy them steamed as huge shellies, harvested when the pods yellow.

All of the white-seeded runner beans I've grown seem to just barely tolerate my Midwest summers. I save seed each time, and it is my hope that over time, they may become better adapted to my climate.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote