View Single Post
Old August 21, 2013   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Again, I'm not so sure that the variety Roi Humbert originated in Italy and I hope to get those links up sooner than later/

I said I wanted to check some back SSE YEarbooks, and I have checked them and found some additional information.

Chiswick, was the name of Roi Humberto in England. I've checked that out, and it turns out that it was known in many European countries, as well as the US very early on.

Checked my Vilmorin book but also Fearing Burr's book as well. And have worn out my Google link.

I'm finding this a bit difficult since the variety was expressed many ways, from Konig Umberto to Rey (Re) Humbert or Umberto, well, many different ways.

I still need to check out the Michigan Bulletin of 1939. I know what I want, its on page 47 but right now I can't FIND page 47 and that's b'c the pages are loose and not in order and from time to time I'm looking for this or that variety and mess them up.

Just b'c King Umberto ruled in Italy for a short time does not necessarily mean that the variety originated there, as I mentioned above.

Carolyn, who will also put up a link or two showing that it was the British who did take it with them when they colonized South Africa. Bit of a kerfuffle with Cecil Rhodes about the area first known as the Congo.