View Single Post
Old April 6, 2015   #291
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Nope! Have at the F4s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
Here are a couple of photos of plant #1 - the primary plant I intend to carry forward to the F4 generation. One photo is before anything ripened, the second photo is after I had picked over 150 fruits from it. The main stem topped out at about 14"-15". It produced a side shoot that reached about 17" when staked vertically. That plant is one that started setting new flowers as the earlier fruits were ripening. Most of the plants haven't put out the new blossoms like this one. The third photo shows the fruit shape and color. There is no distinguishable (at least by me) difference in fruit color, size or shape from one plant to the other, with the exception of a few of the plants that ripened some of the tiny ones I mentioned earlier. Some of the fruit have a tiny nipple on the blossom end and the rest are round. Those in the photo are about as prominent as the nipple gets. The nipple is not plant specific - some have it and some don't across all the plants. I am quite sure they are determinate, as their main stem ends with a flower cluster - sometimes a huge umbrella of flowers.

They are all winding down considerably, although a few seem to be trying to put out new flowers like this one. They are all putting out some new growth in the form of new suckers, but the growth is extremely slow. I have clipped off and potted healthy suckers from a few to see what a clone does. I didn't do anything except stick the stem in a cup of moist potting soil. It has been a week and a half and they have shown no sign of wilting - nor any new growth. We'll see.

Chris - anything else you'd like to see from or about these? They are about to lose their place and prominence as I move ahead with the F4s and the rest of my summer projects.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote