View Single Post
Old February 14, 2010   #24
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

I grew " Heart of Compassion" three years running and it sucked! So I gave some started plants to a friend who lives in Montana and guess what...it STILL SUCKED. The description was this:
Quote:

A huge, 4 to 5-inch, slightly flattened, jade-pink, heart-shaped, very meaty heirloom tomato with thin skin, few seeds and terrific taste. Sure to become one of your favored garden ‘jewels.” 78 Days
Sounds PERFECT doesn't it? For a tomato dryer like me, this would be the
ultimate drying tomato (I hate that word "ultimate"...) I REALLY wanted that tomato...For me, it was NEVER larger than three inches, late, late, late and the flavor was humdrum.
I tried new seed the second year and I planted them in an entirely different area in my garden (my garden encompasses about 2 acres, separated into different growing zones/areas.) It again gave me the finger...

It is supposed to look like this:

I officially HATE this tomato that is like a recalcitrant child who fails to live up to it's full potential. I none-the-less STILL WANT THIS TOMATO...uuggghhhh
My Husband says it has now become a battle of wills...me and the tomato toe-to-toe...so far, the tomato is thrashing me...