Thread: Black Mold
View Single Post
Old October 4, 2017   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
The "black mold" that is common in houses here is actually a harmless slime mold. It commonly grows wherever there is condensation, so in bathrooms and also windowledges etc where we get condensation when it's cold. They are easily cleaned up with either vinegar or soda - can't tolerate pH extremes - but the real solution is to get rid of the moisture which they need to live.

In other black molds, Aspergillus is a bad kind. They can be quite toxic. Rockporter is right, to know what you're dealing with and suit up for a hazardous job. You don't want to breathe the spores.

I've also read that bleach is not a best choice for hazardous molds. In the long run it kills off harmless stuff but encourages the more toxic and resistant types to take hold.
Slime mold ones I know well, they come in different colors, including the Dog Barf ones.

But when I saw Aspergillus being a bad kind for humans I decided to Google that since there are MANY species of Aspergillus and few are toxic. The question being as you'll read in the link below,it's very difficult to ID one species from another.

Here is that Google search

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.18f8heaoiU8

Hope that helps,

Carolyn