View Single Post
Old April 6, 2014   #46
ohiofem
Tomatovillian™

I have to agree that the idea that you can grow 100 pounds of potatoes in a 4 square foot barrel/tower/bin is most likely pie in the sky for most home gardeners growing available varieties. But you can maximize your yield in a container through cultural practices and end up with a decent yield of 20-25 pounds per pound of potatoes planted. I've been growing potatoes in containers from two to three feet deep for three years. Varieties included red pontiac, rose Finn Apple fingerlings, Russian bananas, French fingerlings, Anoka, German butterball, Yukon gold and russet Burbank. In every case potatoes were only produced in the bottom 12 inches of the container. The largest yield in pounds came from red potatoes and the greatest number of potatoes came from the russets. Problem was when I harvested the russets at four months, most of them were no larger than an egg. I think it may be possible to produce more weight if you can keep the potatoes growing for six months or more. One poster on another forum grew russets for six months and got 20 pound to each pound planted. The bottom half of his bins was packed with nice sized spuds.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...113730063.html
ohiofem is offline   Reply With Quote