View Single Post
Old June 16, 2015   #14
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike723 View Post
I've had excellent results with the three more known "tones" - Tomato, Garden and Plant.. used individually of course.. But I usually use them at half strength and add some compost, castings, kelp meal and finally greensand (excellent for improving soil structure) for the added K.. With the water pressure issues aside, don't write off the wonderful benefits of intermittent compost tea drenches and foliar sprays .. Welcome to the wonderful world of organics.. Leave the salts for the tomatoes!
Nothing wrong with that.

I've never fertilized any of my outdoor plants and I've had great years. I had really good results until the tree in the back yard completely shaded my garden and I moved everything to the front yard (2014). I had to rebuild the soil there. It had been tilled so it was compacted with no life in it and it simply couldn't sustain plants. That took 1 year to fix.

The absolute best soil amendment I have found is leaf compost. I've taken starving plants in hard clay, plopped down some leaf compost around them and they perk right up. Comfrey leaves also help a lot when a plant is in the veg phase.

I am going to add horse manure for the first time because I found a source for it and I have a spot where I put wood chips below grade so it's really nitrogen deficient. It's much easier for me to get leaf compost and there are a lot more good things in leaf compost.

I agree completely on compost teas. My worm farm was a big part of my success. My mother in law talked me into moving it to the basement and all my worms died, so I'm rebuilding that now. My plants are getting devoured by bugs this year and I think the lack of vermicompost tea is the reason.
HydroExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote