View Single Post
Old November 1, 2015   #22
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I hope you all don't think that New Mexico is some high income, deep pocket place. I honestly don't know the specifics of how the schools around here have been able to build millions of dollars worth of improvements, but I'm sure the funds for all the building comes from the same place all government spending comes from nowadays....debt and money printing.

There are 14 public high schools in Albuquerque that have 2 to 4 thousand students each. 3 of the schools have been built within the past 5 years and they are absolutely mind boggling. They look like big research hospitals from the outside. The remaining 11 schools have each undergone renovations that make them equal to the new schools. One school was 40 years old and they just leveled it and built a new school that looks like one of those hospitals. I expect that all the high schools now have greenhouses like the one by my house.

NM is one of the poorest states in the Union. We also have one of the worst records for academic testing and graduation rates. My wife is an educational assistant at an elementary school and she buys everything thing from pencils and lunches to clothing for some of her kindergarten kids. They are almost all on some sort of public assistance.
Every kid at here school gets a free breakfast, usually consisting of chocolate milk, a sweet roll or muffin or some other high sugar food. The incompetence of the administration is disgusting.

I didn't start this thread to hash out government waste. I just was looking for ideas to utilize the facility that will remain 99% vacant unless someone does something with it. It will be unused in the foreseeable future unless outside influence is introduced. That's where I come in. I'm thinking now of just starting a winter crop of tomatoes and have the garden club kids participate as they wish, and share the bounty. I will also bring in other crops for community benefit (maybe get some nutrition for the elementary school breakfasts?). In con★★★★★★★★ with the teacher who is in charge of the greenhouse we can run some experiments on growing techniques and environmental conditions. My hope is that once there is activity and green stuff in the greenhouse more students will get interested. I'm going to start studying greenhouse management so I can try to get the most out of the marvelous structure.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote