View Single Post
Old June 2, 2017   #14
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Not sure i would consider the Tomatoville crowd the average backyard gardener,

Many market gardeners here, and with 100+ tomato plants even those of us growing for
home/family use is considered extreme by most. When i was growing just 15-20
varieties friends would raise a concerned eyebrow until they recieved the harvest gift.
Tasting parties, a Fall harvest tomato menu...

The big guns, big Ag, the massive greenhouse producers, use many method to curb
disease and pests. Using a scaled down method could be very beneficial using the heat
treatment in combination with another seed treatment be it bleach, TSP, etc.
Organic beneficials, synthetics.

A cheap hundred dollar SousVide circulator did not exist a few years ago so i think it
works great. The temps and times are easily found as well as the pre-heat.

I test constantly on heathy extra plants. I like to see it for myself. Misted with RoundUp,
over fertilized, sat a gallon pot in a five gallon bucket of water for a week and it drooped
like over-cooked noodles...just the new growth, then bounced back once removed to
dry out a bit. Even set one out to sunburn.

We are so out of balance globally on so many levels season-by-season, with my recent
tick troubles, and finding out it is a NEast problem this year following a 2016 field mice
explosion...we all suffer, especially the South, so any help is worth study to solve it.
Root knot, blight...

Affected seed where it did not exist in the past?, i will use all my guns to fix it. If need be.
(and makes a darn good brisket, pork shoulder/chops, tough cuts like flank, skirt, without
much effort)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote