Thread: My Squash
View Single Post
Old October 1, 2014   #15
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I have been working for the few years on selecting for okra that will grow well here. The first year the plants got about ankle high, and only one plant produced one seed pod. That was from perhaps 100 seeds that were planted.

I saved the seed and replanted, and trialed more varieties. The second year some of the plants got knee high and produced a handful of seed pods. One of the plants even survived the first fall frost!!!

I saved the seed and replanted, and trialed more varieties. Here is what one of the third generation plants looked like a couple of days ago. It is as tall as the farmer!!!

They have been productive enough that I have saved some for seed, and have been harvesting okra for eating and for the farmer's market.

I am very content with the progress of the okra project. I live in a cool mountain valley which is not at all suitable for growing the typical okra varieties. But I have found enough genetic diversity within the okra species to be able to select for genetics that do adequately well in my climate. Okra has been a pleasure to work with, because it doesn't seem as highly inbred as some of the other species I have worked with.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote