View Single Post
Old February 7, 2015   #5
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTwigg View Post
So no Miracle-Gro. Alrighty then.
While I would not use Miracle Grow (because I do not support the parent company) the use of some nitrogen-containing fertilizer is helpful when resuscitating old beans. My technique is similar to Fusion's; it is posted on several forums as 'nitrate soak method'.

I don't recommend soaking old beans in water (with or without fertilizer), since pathogens present on any one seed could contaminate the entire batch. A light soak in hydrogen peroxide might sterilize some pathogens on the surface, so although I have never tried that, it could be helpful as a pre-treatment.

My preferred method is to plant the beans in cells filled with sterile soil less mix, then to soak the beans - in soil - with a nitrate solution. The solution can be made by adding a teaspoon of liquid fertilizer to a gallon of water; if an organic fertilizer is used, it should be boiled to sterilize it. I add enough solution to the tray to thoroughly saturate the soil, and allow it to soak over night. In the morning, I pour off all excess solution, and place the tray in a warm location (preferably close to 80 degrees F.). If the soil begins to dry, I add sterile water.

For the oldest seeds, I will fill cells part way with seed starting mix, pack that down, lay the bean on top, then cover with fine sand. The sand makes it easier for weak seeds to break the surface. I can't over-emphasize the importance of sterility when resuscitating old seed. Because the seeds take longer to germinate, they are more susceptible to pathogens.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote