View Single Post
Old September 15, 2013   #68
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_willus_d View Post
Hi BB-

Tobago was one of the five or so I tried, but I guess (according to my records) I didn't manage to get a seedling to germinate. I think it's very similar to Trinidad. I haven't heard of or tried Corbaci, but it sounds great. Yep, those plants are very nice to look at with their scads of or green, yellow, orange, and bright red peppers everywhere popping.

Thanks for the comments on the pepper process. So do you also follow the brining step indicated? If so, do you add any additional salt to your vinegar mixture (I don't see any indicated in the recipe I linked)? How about sugar amounts? I think I'll give your process a try. Everything I've read in researching this lately suggests that processing/cooking the peppers turns them to a mush, sometimes a brown one.

Thanks!
Naysen
Naysen, I do the brining and don't add any additional salt. I have tried every recipe known to man for canning peppers and every one of them made the peppers too soft and the thinner the skin on the peppers the worse it cooked them. You can fiddle with the sugar amounts...I seem to like less sugar in the hot pepper brine and more in the sweet pepper brine.

We love pepperoncini and always have some with every meal. I will tell you that if you let them get red, all kinds of heat! It is a satisfying pepper to grow because the plants are loaded with fruit and seem to just keep pumping them out all season.

Mary