View Single Post
Old March 30, 2017   #9
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Thanks Deb, I work from my computer, so after a few hours of screen time I do an hour or two of garden work, keeps my head from exploding.

I haven't done a tally yet, I just growing the things I like ad hoc. Guesstimating, I'd say about 140 tomato plants and 40 peppers. I still have room for some more, and then there's the cukes to consider. Gonna be a busy spring.

Cool to hear it's from the same line Marsha 'cause I enjoyed RMK. I do get tired, it's just that gardening substitutes for gym time.

A few questions Marsha, since you are our FL ambassador.

How many months do you have to shut down due to heat?
Do only the tropicals grow during that period?
Do people still grow things in controlled environments?
Usually every tomato is done by June, then I am starting new seeds at around the last week August, so 2 months? Cucumbers, chard and Okra do very well in the heat, and peppers limp along producing a little. Diehards even grow Everglades tomatoes here in the summer, they will set fruit, sparingly. I can't be bothered, it takes about 20 to make a spoonful, and the stem end skin tears when you pick them.
Some people grow in greenhouses that they actually air conditioning, but those are the pro growers. I would hate to see their electric bill, lol!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote