View Single Post
Old March 11, 2018   #21
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Hey Tiny Tim... no laughing, honest! Just about everybody is still learning and tweaking our methods and every year throws up a new challenge or an opportunity to try something else.
The big issue with containers and container mix is how quickly they dry out and run out of ferts. It's amazing the results that people get with fertigation no matter the container size (thinking of AKMark for example, who gets simply over the top results with his setup) but for anyone without the automated drip gear and 'dialed in' liquid fertilizers, bigger containers can really help to get the production you wanted. 3 gal is pretty small for anything but a micro tomato, although you can get something out of it as you pointed out. Even with 5 gal, you can run out of root space before your season is over. (and what a mess I've made trying to add ferts by top dressing, then the surface fills up with new roots in a matter of days. ).
Meanwhile, here I am encouraging you to try some larger pots, but I'm planning to do the opposite this year myself for the sake of a growout. Actually I'm undecided still, whether to use small pots for individual plants or use the biggest containers I have for multiple plants. I plan to prune them hard either way, keep them small on purpose. Small pots have the advantage of mobility, and keeping the option of potting up if there's one I really like. Large container will be stuck where it is, but I think there will be less of watering chores, less stress on me as well as the plants....
Bower, you can get cheap drip systems for under 50.00, but you will have to add ferts manually.
We plant two plants in a four gallon container, any variety, and will pull out 20 foot vines by the end of the season. The root bound root systems makes no difference because we feed every time we water.

Larger containers will help those who have to manually water, but there is no substitute for a tailored fertilizer program. Remember Ricky Shaw, he paid attention, and got super results hand watering with the proper ferts.

These home made up media mixtures are never perfect, but we can be perfect with fertilizer. I grew tomatoes for 20 years before I quit doing it the way I wanted. The big change happened when I listened to the pros.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote