View Single Post
Old December 2, 2008   #23
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdevidal View Post
I have looked all over for production guidelines but information like that is scarce. The only thing I can find is subjective judgments, e.g. "This tom produces well..." What if the grower isn't experienced, what if there was a disease in the grower's other plants, what if sun spots affected the planet Jupiter, what if, what if, what if...

Would Carolyn's book have more specifics?
No, my book has no specifics re total poundage OR fruit numbers, which is what you seem to be after. For the varieties I discuss I just indicate yield as low, medium and high.

It's impossible to take results off the net for poundage OR fruit numbers b'c it can vary with the way in which the plants are grown, the amendments used, the weather in any particular season, any diseases that pop up, your seed source, and on and on.

The only way you're going to get a rough idea of yield, whether it be poundage or fruit numbers, is to trial lots of varieties, which I highly recommended in two threads now in this Forum.

And what you get one season doesn't necessarily predict what you'll get the next season.

But as you can see, many of us can and do work well to offer our tomatoes within those parameters.

You just can't be too scientific about it, if you know what I mean.