View Single Post
Old December 28, 2015   #17
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Neat. I have 42 Days. I'm also going to try Klukva v Sahare, Pendulina Orange and Red, Podarok Fei, Polarnij Skorospelyi, Roza Vetrov, Russkaya Dusha, Sladkij Ponchik, Sol Gold, Southern Nights, Taos Trail, and Utyonok. I believe that all of them are early determinates. I would like to find a good variety for an early crop in low tunnels.
FWIW I really like Podarok Fei, but for me, planted right next to the somewhat similar Zolotoe Serdtse, Podarok takes longer -- perhaps 2 or 3 weeks longer -- to get cranked up to serious production. They've both done pretty well here in our not-tomato-friendly environment, though, even without much special protection -- and both, when happy, surprised me by the size of fruit they produced. The fruit of both has proved to keep pretty well, too.

I believe Zolotoe is listed as an indeterminate, but, for me, both had plants and fruit pattern that were similar, except that Zolotoe began serious producing earlier.

If it wasn't for the production time difference, I'd probably just grow Podarok, so in your warmer zone it may not make that much difference. But Victory seeds carries both, I think, if you want to compare, even if just to have the info stashed in a corner of your mind for possible future reference. (DTM listed by Victory are often longer than what I observe, even here, but, as with much DTM info, I find reported DTMs useful indicators of relative maturity time of different varieties -- MUCH more useful than those who just list varieties as early, mid or late.)
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote