View Single Post
Old August 2, 2018   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I Agree with Fred and also that the variety as well as the shape of the tomato ( beefsteak with a sunken stem in particular) are factors especially in the dark healed radial cracking at the stem which is not specifically related to water like swelling and rupturing/splitting after rain in ripening tomatoes. Something I select for very specifically and you will see it in my photos is a small stem attachment that is not sunken and open as this feature contributes to cracking which while common and normal in many beefsteak varieties especially, is unattractive and a potential entry for fungus and rot in damp conditions.
Cracked fruit are fully edible of course but much of the tomato is wasted cutting off the damaged parts because wile edible it is ugly and scabby and it makes peeling them for recipes and canning very difficult I find. so I seek and select and grow varieties less prone. Smoother Hearts,pastes and more rounded beefsteaks are my preference over flattened or boat shaped tomatoes with a big open stem.

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote