View Single Post
Old April 12, 2016   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Fruit doesn't need light to get ripe.
Not only are you going to have to drop the voltage your are going to have to switch it to DC.
This is going to consume a ton of energy to run car headlights even if they are LED.
It will take a good sized rectifier to handle all of that currant if they aren't LED.
It wont take long adding up a bunch of car head lamps and you will be drawing as many amps as a welding machine.
This will require a good sized transformer/power supply to handle it.
Some time ago I got the wild idea to run DC to my garden and light it up did the calculations and dropped the idea due to energy consumption.
Not only is there a huge power consumption there is a huge power drop in the wires forcing you to go to bigger wire.
If I were you I would start thinking about CFL Lights in the 6500K range.
These are the lights that best mimic the suns output at noon day.
They are a full spectrum light.

In the US we use 120 VAC where you live I think you use 240.
The difference is you guy can use smaller wire because the currant is shared buy two hot wires not one.

Don't over think the light spectrum too much as most of the information is put out by light manufacturers selling lights.
They do this to get people to buy expensive (Grow) lights they dont need.
This information is then passed on by people and the misinformation continues to grow.

If it is just for fruit ripening like I said you need temperatures to increase not light.
In your case about 21 degrees C or 70 degrees F for me.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote